Tuesday 11 June 2013

I think the grass is greener on the other side... but I also think I'm wrong.

In the age range my friends and I are in, it's strange. We're floating in between being a child and being an adult. A lot of us have college age responsibilities; laundry, cooking, money, school & work. Some of us live as a child; living at home, dependent, having fun. Some of us live as an adult; living in your own home, getting married, careers, having kids. This is all very strange because we can be the same age as someone, yet while we are carefree going to the lake, working our summer jobs, and enjoying home cooked meals, our friends are having babies and making life commitments to other people.

It sometimes just seems like life is passing me by...

...And, I get jealous.

Life is a constant reminder that someone has something better than you, has done something greater than you, and that someone is happier than you.

It's a constant battle to say no, but that is what WE HAVE TO DO, if WE want to be HAPPY.

When I was a teenager, I wanted nothing more than to move away. I thought that living on my own would make me the happiest I've ever been. That, that life stage would be soooo good.
   The turn-around point was... it wasn't better. I missed living as a child, and I didn't like responsibility. I wasn't happier. But, I wasn't sadder. It was just... different. So my conclusion was: THE GRASS ISN'T GREENER, IT'S THE EXACT SAME, just somehow "different".



It's still hard, even with this mindset, when I see a friend get married, or have the love of a child in their arms, but after that first wave of "I wish that was me *sigh* *daydream*", then I remember that I am just enjoying the life stage that I am in, not wishing away time, not wishing for the future or dreaming of the past, but just enjoying the present.

1 comment:

  1. You are very wise. Live in the present. The future will unfold as it should.

    ReplyDelete