Tuesday 25 June 2013

Church Shop, Don't Hop!

Throughout my 8 years of being a Christian, I've been committed to going to a total three different churches. 

The first one was in NS, and it was where I came to faith. It is a small country church of about 50-60 people (the nicest, and friendliest people that you will ever meet). I went there until I moved two years ago, but am returning there and getting baptized there this summer. Since my time there, we have had appx. 3 pastors.



The second church I went to was next door to my apartment in Toronto. I forced myself to get out of my comfort zone to be able to attend, and after about a month I began to make friends and be involved. It's size is about 200 people, of older, conservative people. I was involved in the children's ministry which was really great, and my faith was really challenged as it was a very intellectual, theological church. But that was also to it's detriment. A lot of the learning was way over my head, and I was constantly surrounded by seminary students who knew far much more than I did, which made me question my own faith- and the degree to which I lived it. However, I think the biggest downfall was that the pastor, after myself having year of regular attendance and being involved in ministries, still did not know my name. The last time I saw him was when I was standing in for a MOH for a wedding rehearsal, and he tried to make conversation by asking me who I was and if I attended the seminary of which he was principal. 



So... on to the next church I went.

The third church I began attending with my boyfriend. It was also a large church of about 200 people, but mostly young families. The preaching by the senior pastor is amazing, and I still continue to listen to the sermons via downloadable audio even though I am 2000km away. I attended there for about 10 months, waiting and hoping to feel a part of the church community, however it never happened. Everyone was welcoming and friendly, but I always felt like an outsider, and still hesitate to call it "my church". After some thought and reflection over the summer, I decided I could no longer attend when I return for the fact of lack of fellowship and the distance is too far for me to travel on my own. 



It weighed heavy on my to tell my boyfriend that I didn't want to attend that church with him anymore, but after discussion, it turned out he felt the same way, and we are on our way to Church Shop in the fall.

I have googled around a bit and there is one church that is standing out that is equal distance from both our houses, and seems to have a good community and fellowship for young adults. I look forward to exploring this church- and if necessary, other churches. 

Even though I have not found a church for me in Toronto (yet!), I have tried, and I have been committed to the ones I have been at. The difference between church shopping and church hopping, is attempting to become a part of the community and then moving on when you find out it's not working VS. not attempting to become a committed member. I think that it is important to look for a church that you can serve in and in return will serve you. So don't be discouraged, God will lead you and let you learn. There is a purpose in everything. Even the churches I didn't stay in have taught me A LOT about faith.

                                                                  Church Shop (Don't Hop!) :)

The main thing to remember is that no church is perfect. As stated above, sometimes a church has poor sermons, but great fellowship. Maybe the worship and prayer is so touching, but no one has even noticed you're there. It's all about finding a mix that is right for you, one that will be able to use the gifts God gave you to glorify Him best.



No comments:

Post a Comment